Incheon University's Mountain team UIAC enjoys challenges beyond limits.

글번호
작성일
2024-07-10
수정일
2024-07-10
작성자
홍보팀 (032-835-9490)
조회수

20240531 a mountain club

"Jaile Jung" is the best e-x-p-r-e-s-s-i-o-n of mountaineering. The sticky ties that lead to the rope make them united. Incheon National University's Mountaineering Department, which marks its 46th anniversary this year, is Incheon National University's first club and the only remaining first-year club established at the same time as Incheon National University opened in 1979.

Incheon National University's mountaineering department has a record of climbing the highest peaks on seven continents with the success of climbing Everest in 2009. This is the first and only record for a single university mountain climber. In recognition of these achievements, an artificial rock wall (Seven Summits Wall: Seven Peaks) was installed on the outer wall of the welfare center at the time of the relocation of Songdo Campus. What do the seniors' tremendous achievements and juniors who work under the halo think of the mountain club.

재학생 대장 김동우 학생(도시행정, 22학번)

"I can't imagine how I'd be living if I hadn't joined the mountain club"

Kim Dong-woo (Urban Administration, No. 22), the current student leader, lives like a habit.

산악부 박지은 학생(중어중국, 19학번)

Park Ji-eun, a student in the mountain department, said. "I think I've had all the dynamic experiences that I wouldn't have in my life if I wasn't a mountain climber." Even thinking about it now, I had a very fruitful day. I think the precious experiences I have gained with the members will be a great nourishment for my future life."

Another mountain climber, Choi Sun-hong (Construction Environment, No. 16), said, "Mountain clubs allow us to push our limits," but added, "When can we face the moment when we can face our limits in our daily life of squirrel wheeling? We can meet that difficult situation every day in mountain clubs. I don't compete with others, but I think it's only a fight against myself. When you go over the limit, adrenaline explodes (laughs)."

Choi Sun-hong at Lenin Peak (7134m) (Construction Environment, Department 16)

Choi Sun-hong at Lenin Peak (7134m) (Construction Environment, Department 16)

Now that sports climbing is in its unprecedented golden age, university mountaineers are exploding in popularity together thanks to the popularity of sports climbing. Incheon National University's mountainous department, which had slowed down due to the COVID-19 situation, is gaining unprecedented popularity as soon as the COVID-19 is over. 

Kim Dong-woo, a student climbing from an artificial rock wall in Incheon National University (Urban Administration, No. 22)

Kim Dong-woo, a student climbing from an artificial rock wall in Incheon National University (Urban Administration, No. 22)

Student leader Kim Dong-woo responded to the popularity. "Since our school's artificial rock walls are built nicely and it's in an open place, I think a lot of people come naturally to see us doing activities."

Mounting Department of Incheon National University in Mt. Seorak

Mounting Department of Incheon National University in Mt. Seorak

It's good that it's getting popular, but the club room seems to be getting smaller, said Kim Dong-woo, a student.“The importance of maintenance is growing as more members are needed and rock climbing facilities are aging, but it is most regrettable that it is not supported much in reality, because it is not a problem that our mountaineering members can do alone. I want to continue to play a middle role so that my juniors can walk on the path that my seniors have paved, but I don't think it's enough for me.” And I mentioned the need for indoor facilities. “Other universities such as Ewha Womans University and Inha University have indoor rock climbing teams. Our school also has indoor rock walls, so I want to work hard on my junior education regardless of whether it rains or snows or the weather.”

Incheon National University's mountaineering department is planning an expedition to North America's highest peak Mekin-ri (6168m) to commemorate the 15th anniversary of the Seven Summits Wall before relocating Songdo Campus in May 2025. It means to reawaken the spirit of Seven Summits Wall by going to Mekin-ri, the beginning of the Seven Continents' ascent. 

“Whenever my juniors use rock climbing, I talk about their achievements. Seniors, supervisors, and many people say it's a space that exists because they've suffered. (laughs) I hope that our mountain team will continue to share history as the only first-year club of Incheon National University by teaching and nurturing juniors hard.”

20240531 a mountain club

첨부파일